Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zip Wire Certified

(Courtesy of Engr. Virginia Dela Cerna)
On April 17, 2011, STI College Cebu employees decided to bond and enjoy the weekend by going somewhere affordable and doing something adventurous. 

Papa Kits Marine and Fishing Lagoon in Liloan, Cebu fits the adventurously affordable criteria for a week-end get away. 

Papa Kits has been featured in the ABS-CBN Regional Network show "Maayung Buntag Kapamilya" and in the Freeman, a local newspaper, as a place expected to boost tourism in Liloan.



(from http://www.facebook.com/pages/Papa-Kits-Marina-and-Fishing-Lagoon)
There are a variety of activities that the visitors would surely enjoy like the horse back riding, biking, hiking, swimming, bird watching, fishing and  the favorite 800 meters zip-line. The zip-line is the main attraction in the marina and fishing lagoon. You can tell that it is the favored activity due to the long queue of zippers of all ages.

Wikipedia.org described a zip-line, also known as zip wire, to consist of a pulley suspended on a cable mounted on an incline, designed to enable a user propelled by gravity to traverse from the top to the bottom of the inclined cable, usually made of stainless steel, by holding on or attaching to the freely moving pulley.  Zip-line tours are becoming popular vacation activities, found at outdoor adventure camps or upscale resorts, where they may be an element on a larger challenge or ropes course.  

Zipping seems so easy to others but not to me. I  am an enthusiastic adventurer but I am also apprehensive. It is actually a challenge I posed to myself when I asked my daughter whether she would like to go with me to Papa Kits and take the zip-line challenge.

When we reached the venue, and saw the height of the tower from the ground where I stood, then heard the shout from the zippers as they traversed from the top to the bottom of the inclined cable, my fear almost got the better of me. However, seeing the long queue of eager zip liners and the look of excitement from daughter's face, I was motivated to go ahead.

(Ma'am She and Ma'am Gemma)
My office mates were very courageous and eager to zip the 800 meters line designed to pass through a body of water over the Silot Bay (which has story of its own). 

In my case, I was a bundle of nerves and wanted to back out. When it was time for the safety harness to be put around me, the assistant stared hard at me first, not because he likes what he saw (LOL), but because,  he must have seen the fear from within. Maybe I was so pale, but  assured him I am all set and ready to go. I have not noticed if I was really pale though, must be the "sunscreen", I did not see any mirror on the site. 

As I climbed the tower, I was not able to fully appreciate the view (darn this fear of heights thing), I concentrated on taking one step at a time until I reached the top.

Then I felt my heart beating so fast, just like how you feel when you are nervous,  then the butterflies in my stomach start to flutter. I saw the breathtaking view from the top. The glide or drop (whatever) point is high. Bea (my daughter) informed me that the sign says 6-stories high then I realized I wanted to go back down. My daughter posed the challenge on me this time, that my companion did it, then so can I.

The group before my team was having second thoughts but was encouraged by her friends.  I asked Bea if she likes to go tandem, but she wants to go solo. Imagine that! She is fearless while I was a bunch of nerves! My office mate, provided encouraging words so I can go on.  Then I looked back and behind me was another mom with her young companion, smiling so wide and so eager to try the zip line. She silently motivated me to face my fears. Aside from that, the line on the stairs is getting  longer. So I gave myself  a pep talk "OK! Just close your eyes and then open it one by one when you reached the middle."  

There is no backing down now! The man in-charge of the line called for me. He must be tired, imagine I am zip liner number 168.  He and his companions were propelling zippers the whole day! But they were patient with the adventurers. He checked my harness, told me to put my weight on my harness and hang my feet on air and then he said "READY! GO!".

So I closed my eyes as I was released, opened it again in the middle of the line over waters, prayed hard for safety and zipped 400 meters down the line across Silot bay. Then zipped back another 400 meters to get to where I came from.

It was one thrilling adventure and will do it again, if my heart does not fail me (LOL).

The pictures above are courtesy of Engr. Virginia Dela Cerna and those pictures are of my office mates.
But they can certify.
I zipped!

And my zip line memories are those which are left in my memory.

There are lessons I learned at the top of the propel point and during the whole process, that are useful to attain success.

      1. A solemn prayer, a strangers' smile, some silent motivation, and a nod  are gestures of encouragement that must be appreciated.

     2. Conquering fears is a matter of choice.


     3. There are choices available, just like in life:
               a. you can choose to stay put and wait;
               b. you can choose to turn back;
               c. you can choose to accept the challenge head on;
               d. you can choose to face the challenge solo; and,
               e. you can choose to face the challenge with a friend.

     4. Do not pose a challenge, if you can not do the challenge yourself.

     5. 3Ps of attaining success: Prayers, Patience and Perseverance.

At that time, I also realized that my daughter has her own wisdom. She can give her support and encouragement and will be there for me. Yet she also wants to be independent and decide for herself.

She made her choice as I did. We zipped!


   
    





No comments:

Post a Comment