Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

TECHNO FLAW

I retrieved the attendance data this morning from our company's "BIOMETRICS" since today is the cut off date of the workdays covered for the payroll preparation.
I was all set to verify the attendance from the data in my flash drive. so I went to my work station and "voila" my flash drive has no more files in it.  All my pictures, documents, excel files and most of all, the attendance are gone! A virus just invaded my flash drive and hid my files. This is bad, really bad...how can I get out of this situation?

Oh my! No employer would be happy with this while employees would have mixed reactions. All late comers will be elated, no deduction for today's tardiness! No way! The most important file I need right now are the attendance data.

I asked assistance from our Laboratory facilitator, who told me that the files will be recovered if we use a file recovery software. So we did and finally the files I needed were recovered but unfortunately we can't save the files since the software needs a product key.  Oh... oh.. I thought the software was free.  

Since the files I need are seen on the monitor, I copied the data manually.  Good thing I downloaded the attendance for the other days and its in my Gmail box.  

So thanks to the new technology, I recovered the lost files. I know who were tardy and who forgot to log-out. 

Technology has helped us to perform our task conveniently and efficiently however, technological flaws  also abound, even with the constant upgrade and innovation. Man has designed and has crafted the technology for us to be more productive but it is also man who has created the virus that can delete or hid our files.  Really, those which are man made are full of flaws! Are technological flaws part of the economics of technology? After all, these viruses have helped sell anti-virus software. Recovery software has also helped recover hidden or deleted files.

A question I ask myself, would I be willing to go back to the manual way of doing things? Not really.  As an office worker, I really appreciate the innovation and the productivity brought about by these gadgets.

This link http://news.techdna.co.uk/2010/01/secure-flash-drives-hacked/  presents problems on the flash drives and how the manufacturers are trying its best to protect its products.

No comments:

Post a Comment